Monday, May 11, 2015

A Stoic Reunion

10" stained glass mosaic plate. " Time Warp To Paradise" by VIctor NUnnally -gift
 Portland, Oregon has been a  place of tribal reunion.  There was a time when I worked and resided at a primitive Eco Resort on the Island of ST John.  It was called Maho Bay Camps. 114 stick built cabins nestled on a dense forested hillside connected by wooden boardwalks and hundreds of stairs.  It was a village of pure enchantment where the employees lived and worked together.  It was somewhat of a civil experiment.  20 years I spent journeying to and fro since 1986. It was there in 2000 that I wanted to start being an artist and to find my style of expression.  It was there where I created my first mosaic. I made this plate for the Art Director who had asked me to produce the initial piece.  She is here in Portland and I am about to go see her and her husband.  This is for them.  Maho Bay was something very special to a lot of people.  Unfortunately it's 40 year lease ran out in 2013 and the Angels wept as it was closed down and the property sold.  However, I understand a conservationist purchased the 14 acres and plans to keep it intact.  We are the Maho Tribe and there are hundreds (if not thousands) of us who experienced a lifestyle that proved to be wondrous.  Thank you Stanley Selengut, the founder and creator.  I have encountered numerous tribe members on this West Coast Journey.  It is great to see so many.  I painted an Oil Painting of Maho Bay.  I wonder where it is.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work Victor. I remember your friendly voice on our daily phone calls. I in NYC and you in St. John. I hope you are well and happy these days. I am in NYC, and have been teaching for a number of years. I go to the Caribbean when I can. It is still beautiful on St. John, but it is hard to see all of the development. I miss the place in my mind that is both a place and time.
All the best,
Jessica Harvey

Joybabies@aol.com

Victor Nunnally said...

Hello Jessica,

A voice from the past, from The days of heaven. I miss Maho, our days. Great to hear from you and to know you're thinking of me. Want an art work? What are you doing?